Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Artist Statement

At the crux of my work is a conflict of selves. I believe that all people consist of at least two parts: an inner person, or people, who are genuine, amorphous and free of categorization, and an outer person, the visible manifestation of a person in the world, subject to judgment from others. The inner selves are the amalgamation of emotion, thoughts, memories, chemical states within the body, learned habits, and physical sensation. I imagine the web of selves and their interactions as a tangled mass of knotted points and their thin connections too numerous for measure. This web is constantly in flux, since all it constituents are always changing. But the emotional and mental space those points and lines inhabit remains within a definite territory of personality.

I use my work to examine the interaction of selves and their components. I stick to interactions involving at least one of my selves because I feel I have the right to claim them as my own. These interactions can be colored with any number of emotions. I use figurative imagery to reference the human being, stylizing to create a more expressive visual. I use warm colors, often intense, to reference powerful emotion. I consider red in particular to be an intensely emotional color, while cooler colors reference distance between selves, and purple, the color between warm and cool, to me references mystery. Yellow, again in-between, references interrelated and sometimes indistinguishable tension and calm. I use a lot of black and dark visuals because they mimic the unlit quality of a person’s world before intellectual exploration has lit ideas inside the mind. Texture plays an important and evocative role in my work, since sensory experience is closely related to emotional and mental experience. I sometimes create image symbols that represent multifaceted ideas, since the concept of the inner and outer selves inherently has at least those two facets.

No comments:

Post a Comment